Administration of prescribed and 'Household' medication by Care workers in Children’s Homes
This development programme has been put together to enable Care workers to administer prescribed and ‘household’ medication in accordance with The National Minimum Standards for Social Care Provision, Standard 13, and contemporary guidance and practice. The programme will necessarily reflect and utilise the Homes policy and written guidance for practice, storage, disposal and administering of medication. Local documentation and procedures are incorporated into training activities.
- The importance of meeting Children’s health needs and safeguarding their welfare in administering medicines and providing treatment.
- Operating framework; policy, guidance and documentation
- Prescription, protocols and responsibilities
- ‘Household’ medication
- Care-worker practice concerns
- Referral for further advice
- Medicine storage and handling
- Methods of administration
- Record keeping
Optional summative assessment activities will be available for assessment of evidence for those wishing to demonstrate competence for NVQ unit CSH3